Monday 22 December 2008

Christmas past

As I lay here thinking of my past Christmas's, I wonder if when I was a child my parents felt the same? DId Christmas come around quickly for them? Because I seem to remember it seemed like ages. How many more sleeps? And it would go on and on and on..............I would lay awake listening for father Christmas on the roof top. I knew he had to land there so he could get down our chimney. As soon as I saw daylight, I was up.. racing downstairs to see the bits we had left out for him gone. Just like the tooth fairy, this was so magical. But as a parent, its a bloody stressful time. Am I keeping the magic for them? As I hear them get up on a normal day, I lay here pretending I am still asleep in hopes of another 5 minutes. But Christmas Morn they are sure to up before dawn. But surely I cant lay in bed I will have to get up with them.. This, if anyone knows me is a hard task.. I am a night owl.... In the morning I need 3 cuppas of the finest coffee just to get my motor started. Who ever came up with the idea of opening presents in the morning is a PILLOCK! BAH HUMBUG! hehe
This year I am having friends over for Christmas day. With no knitted named jumpers in sight. We are doing the secret santa thing. I personally plan on being festive and good willed, with a little help from a good old bottle of gin. I have found as I have gotten older, it is actually quite nice.. Years ago I thought it was just rubbing alcohol flavoured with pine needles. But with a hint of lime it is actually lovely. A sign of maturity I am sure. hehe. So as CHristmas is upon us I am going to try and make a realy effort to remember my christmas past. I may even dream of sugar plums, AHHH who am i kidding itll be Antonio Banderas. Damn him for making Desparado!

No comments:

Post a Comment